Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Externship, Relationship and Residency

I really enjoyed my externship at the University of Glasgow. The pathology department was quite chill out, and my supervisor was great. I had learnt heaps, and applied my knowledge into diagnostic aspect of veterinary medicine. I had read several histopathology slides, describing the tissue change and providing diagnosis. My supervisor was happy with my performance, and she believed that I am at the level of late first year resident - My head just blew up like a balloon that day, yays. Then I was given real cases that I needed to write a report back to clinicians. I was thrilled, and I got them right, yip yip!

I had discussed the residency program in veterinary anatomical pathology and training for the board certification with my superviser. We had a long talk, and I decided that it wouldn't hurt to apply for this year (If I get in, I would start as a resident next July). I had shortlisted the residency program according to their training quality and location. Well, I would be spending three years of my life (or six years if I'm doing a combined PhD-residency program) at one of these if I get in:

The Royal Veterinary College, London, UK
University of Guelph, Ontario, Canada
Cornell University, New York, USA
UCDavis, California, USA

This meant I would need to move to another country once I am accepted in. It is unfortunate that the training system in Australia has not been very well established. All of my lecturers and professors in pathology had recommended me to train in either USA or UK. Funnily enough, one of them said "Just do it while you are young and have no attachment. When you are single, there aren't many things to worry about". It seemed like that is not the case for me anymore.

A path to walk

This brought in another issue about moving, which I would need to properly discuss with Boyfriend D once I get back to Melbourne. I had sent a long email to Boyfriend D, explaining the whole situation. Early on in our relationship, I told him that after a few years of practising as a veterinarian, I would be moving to another country for a residency program. The plan had changed, and that might happen a lot earlier than we expected.

Boyfriend D felt unsure about everything. He seemed unease, but understood that it's my dream to become a veterinary pathologist. He said that he would be mad if I don't aim for the best, and pursue my dream.

Even though I might not get it, I had thought of several case scenarios. I had had a few long walk to think through and consider all the options. The issue was rather tricky, and I realised that this may soon become our first relationship crisis, if we don't think through and communicate properly.

I had been mentally exhausted, and felt a bit down recently. At times like this, I just wanted to hold Boyfriend D tight, and tell him how much I love him. Now I understand how agonising it is to decide between your career and family. This would be one of the crucial forked paths of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!!
    I have a similar situation. I am Spanish and moving out to the UK to pursue my dream of becoming a Veterinary Neurology Diplomate. My girlfriend has a good job here in Spain (sort of like a Neuro Residency but not quite) and she will probably not be able to move with me. How did you guys figure out? Did it work? I mean, is it realistic to have a long distance relationship while doing a Residency?

    ReplyDelete